What should one know about pickled beetroot?
Beets cleanse the organism (natural detox)
Beets and depression, neurosis, insomnia, concentration and memory.
“Beets contain betaine – the substance used in some forms of treatment of depression. They also contain tryptophan, which somewhat „relaxes the mind” and gives the sense of satisfaction (feeling of happiness – just like dark chocolate). The folic acid has a soothing and calming effect, which helps people with sleeping problems to fall asleep easier. Additionally, the beets improve general well-being, concentration, reflexes, memory, decrease nervous tension, cure stress, depression, apathy, various kinds of neurosis and sleep disorders. It is caused by lithium and magnesium contained in beets. Lithium enhances the influence of magnesium and tryptophan, creating serotonin, as a result”.
Beets and convalescence – legal sport doping for the lack of energy
„After drinking two glasses of beetroot juice, a good energy boost is felt. Due to sugar content, the beets are sweet and have some of calories. However, these are not refined sugars that are quickly released into the blood (contrary to chocolate). They are strongly recommended for athletes and active people. Beetroot slows down the absorption of oxygen (thanks to nitrates content), making us get tired slower. Additionally, it helps in faster elimination of muscle soreness (when we overtrained the day before, or we have just started training), contributes to physiological nutrition of the organism, muscle gaining and improvement of physical endurance”.
Beets for dementia (Alzheimer disease).
All this thanks to the beneficial influence of beets on blood. With age, the amount of areas in the brain that are insufficiently supplied with blood increases, which in turn affects the development of dementia and impairs cognitive capabilities. The scientists have proven that beets can increase blood flow in the brain, thanks to its high nitrate content. The nitrates expand blood vessels and improve oxygen and blood flow through the tissues. A diet rich in nitrates supports oxygen flow to white matter of frontal lobes, which is exactly the place where dementia begins.
Beetroot for infertility and during pregnancy.
The beets are a rich source of folic acid, which participates in key processes in the correct development of the foetus. For people that plan to have children, beets should be added to the diet even 90 days before the planned conception: because of the aforementioned folic acid, but also the fact that beetroot sweeps up free radicals, which in turn damage DNA (incredibly important for a healthy pregnancy), and because of general detoxication of the organism, and above all when concerning the treatment of infertility – beetroot can increase the level of sexual hormones responsible for ovulation. Since beetroot improves blood circulation – including the uterus – it is highly recommended to consume it in the luteal phase. Beets are low in calories – 100g contain only 38 kcal and cover 30% of recommended daily intake of folic acid, which is essential for a correct development of the fetus. Moreover, zinc, manganese and copper support growth, development and reproduction and positively influence the functioning of sex glands. That’s why beets are so effective in treating infertility.
Beetroot – other healing properties
- It has strong antitussive and fungicidal effect, relieves sore throat (tonsillitis), strengthens resistance to influenza, helps fighting the symptoms of common cold and influenza,
- supports the healing of ulcerations,
- beetroot accelerates the decomposition of stomach acid, improving the preliminary ingestion of proteins and absorption of amino acids,
- light diuretic effect reduces blood pressure,
- restores the acid-base balance of the organism,
- red beet alleviates the unpleasant symptoms of menopause,
- delays premature ageing process,
- prevents the calcification of blood vessels,
- strengthens the immunological system,
- treats liver and kidney diseases,
- regulates cholesterol level,
- prevents the numbness of limbs,
- prevents osteoporosis,
- prevents back pains and radiculitis.
- beets regulate menstrual cycle disorders,
- prevent discharges, cervicitis,
- treat gout;
- protect the organism from fatigue,
- improve hair and nail condition.
- recommended for women during menopause and pregnancy, teens, children and infants.
- It is recommended to eat beets when one suffers from diabetes! – they contain a lot of sugar and can lead to a sudden increase of sugar level in blood
- People suffering from low blood pressure can drink beetroot juice only in the evening before sleep. Otherwise, lowered blood pressure in people who have low blood pressure may lead to excessive sleepiness
- Due to high oxalate content, people suffering from rheumatism or kidney Stones should avoid beetroot consumption or season them with a fair amount of bay leaves. Oxelate can be found mostly in the leaves.
Beetroot juice must be diluted with water. Otherwise its strong base-forming effect could cause nausea.
People suffering from low blood pressure can drink beetroot juice only in the evening because it can decrease blood pressure and cause energy drop during the day.